What is involved in becoming a pilot?

  • Introduction

    Introductory Flight (optional) : This will give you a pre-flight briefing, 1/2 hour of flight time and will let you get a real feeling of what flying is about. It actually counts towards your training time. To book an introductory flight with an instructor, just call or drop by and we will be pleased to book a flight with one of our instructors.

    CFI Orientation: Once you have decided to start training, book your no-charge meeting with our Chief Flight Instructor, to discuss the process, what you would like to do and how to proceed. Even if you do the introductory flight first, our Chief Flight Instructor would like to meet you anyways. He wants to get to know all the student and ensure they are matched with the right training program. Just call or drop by to book an appointment.

  • Learn

    If you decide to go ahead, the first step is a private pilot licence, or a recreational pilot permit.

    Both involve ground training and flight training, a written exam and flight test. For details click on the appropriate license in the Training section.

    How much will it cost? Depends on the type of aircraft you choose, how often you are able to fly, and how quickly you progress. Again, see the details for each license.


  • Enjoy

    The Rockcliffe Flying Club is more than just a flight school. We're also a flying club with many active members. Your licence is just part of the journey.

    Expand your abilities with a rating such as the Night RatingTail Wheel Conversion, or Aerobatic Certification.

    Participate in our programs such as the Wider Horizions, Co-Pilot Program for your non-flying partners,Air Ralleys, or find new and interesting places to fly.

    Join us for our many non-flying events, such as Wings Dinner,Volunteer BBQ, Christmas Potluck,Canada Day celebration, Battle of Britain fly-by, and more.

Recreational Pilot Permit

A Recreational pilot licence allows the holder to be pilot-in-command of single engine non-high-performance aeroplanes, designed to carry no more than 4 persons, and can carry a maximum of 1 passenger. RPP holder can be PIC of an ultra-light aeroplane, and can obtain a sea rating. RPP holders can operate under day VFR conditions only.

Private Pilot License

A private pilot licence holder may act as pilot-in-command or co-pilot of an aeroplane of a class and type in respect of which the licence is endorsed with ratings and pilot-in-command of an ultra-light aeroplane. PPL may be endorsed with Night, VFR OTT, Instrument ratings, and different aeroplane class ratings.

Commercial Pilot Licence

A pilot with a Commercial license can be pilot-in-command of an aeroplane, in commercial service, of a class and type in respect of which the licence is endorsed and if the minimum flight crew document for the aeroplane specifies a minimum flight crew of one pilot, or co-pilot of other aircraft. CPL also includes VFR OTT rating.

Instrument Rating

An Instrument rating allows a private or commercial pilot license holder to fly into Instrument Meteorological conditions, ie cloud and visibility less than VFR. Instrument rating is required for a commercial pilot to be PIC of a commercial flight carrying passengers at night. Instrument rating includes VFR OTT rating.

Instructor Rating

An Instructor rating allows a commercial pilot license holder to conduct flight training for the issue of the Private Pilot License (PPL), Night Rating, Recreational Pilot Permit (RPP), and the Commercial Pilot License (CPL). A Commercial Pilot License is required for an Instructor rating.

Night Rating

The holder of a permit or licence that has been endorsed with a night rating may exercise the privileges of the permit or licence by night.  For example, a Private Pilot License - Aeroplane holder with a night rating may fly under VFR conditions at night.

Tailwheel Conversion

In order to do your tailwheel conversion, you need to hold at least a Student Pilot Permit, complete the groundschool (seminar or individual briefing) as well as seven RFC flight lesson plans.

Aerobatic Certificate

A pilot with an Aerobatic Certificate can perform Aerobatic Maneuvers with passengers. The Aerobatics Certificate Program takes you out of the normal envelope and sharpens your piloting skills. You will build confidence in unusual attitude and upset recovery by enhancing your knowledge of aircraft theory and control.

Co-pilot course

The CoPilot course is designed for people who don't intend (at this point!) to get a pilot licence, but expect to fly often with a pilot and would like to know more about flying, to make the experience more pleasurable and to develop some skills that might be useful to their pilot during flights.  It is also appropriate for someone who doesn't have a pilot friend but would like to get more general knowledge about flying and aviation.